Thursday, September 10, 2009

Nothing says Fall like...Amish Apple Pie

Good morning, we had dinner with friends one last time Tuesday night and I knew I had to make this for dessert.  This is the recipe that I always take when people want dessert in the Fall.  I have never had one person say they didn't love it.  It always comes out ...at least for me.  You can use store bought dough and it works great too.  If you have your own pie crust recipe that is fine too.  It's not your typical apple pie.  Not that there's anything wrong with it but you may know the type, a congealed apple pie filling, 2 crusts, out of the can.  Nope this is not that pie.  I personally don't care for that kind of pie.  This is not even in the same category. 

Amish Apple Pie  (recipe from Cooking from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams)

Streusel
1/3 cup granulated Sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
speck of salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter cold * I slice this up first
1/2 cup coarsely chopped English walnuts

4 Large Mcintosh or Granny Smith apples (4 cups)
1 unbaked 10 inch  pie shell
1 cup sugar (yep, a whole cup)
3 Tbsp.  all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a food processor bowl, mix the first 6 ingredients of the streusel.  (you can use a large fork or pastry blender)  Add the butter and process until the mixture is crumbly; it should still have a dry look to it - don't overprocess it.  You should have little crumbs when you are done, add your nuts. Then, I refrigerate it while I do the rest of the pie. This is key to keeping that butter chilled.

Peel, core and thinly slice the apples: there should be about 4 cups.  Place the apples in the pie shell.  In a small bowl mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon.  Beat the egg in a medium bowl and add the cream and vanilla.  Add the sugar mixture and blend. (*I just use one large bowl and simplify this step.)  Pour over the apples.  Bake for 1 hour in the lower third of the oven.  However, after 20 minutes sprinkle the streusel topping over the top (it's a lot)  and continue baking for approximately 40 minutes longer or until top puffs and is a light golden brown. 

The result is an ooey gooey goodness of apple pie.  The spices with the sugar and heavy cream make this pie!! It's not diet friendly or lowfat.  I wouldn't even try to alter the recipe.  I don't think it would come out at all.  I omit the walnuts as my DH doesn't like nuts.  I think you could substitute them for pecans too.  The only trick is the streusel and the cold butter.  If you get paste you've overprocessed.  Also, don't forget to bake for 20 minutes then add the streusel and bake for 40 more.  I've messed that up in the past.  LOL! I serve it with a dollop of heavy whipping cream or good vanilla icecream but it really needs nothing.
Happy Baking!
Carey
P.S. Closing on my house is up in the air right now I may be gone for the weekend.  See you soon!

6 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks soooooooooooooo good; I think I'll make a pie today! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of apple pie baking... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm!!! I love apple pie recipes!! Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks SO good! I don't even like pie, but I think I could eat a piece of that!

    ReplyDelete