Friday, May 7, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Mini Pies

Good evening, I hope you're enjoying the wonderful weather, sorry to all my northern friends though!  I hear it's snowing up there.  I've had a busy, busy week full of 2 spring concerts, ball games, shopping, more ball games and I'm glad it's over.  Here's a link to more recipes.


Here's a sweet treat if you're a rhubarb fan!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Strawberries - 3 cups hulled, washed and sliced
Rhubarb - 3 cups, washed and cut into 1 inch chunks
3/4- 1 Cup sugar depending on sweetness of fruit
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves *I omitted this ingredient
store bought or favorite pie crust for a 2 crust pie
minute tapioca

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly until well combined.  Toss into cut fruit and gently stir mixture. Let stand for about 15 minutes.  Prepare pie crust or use store bought one.  I used the Never Fail Crust recipe similiar to this one. You need a deep dish 9 inch pan or if you have the little ones it makes about 4, 1 not quite so full.  Fill fruit mixture and roll out top crust and cut into 3/4 or 1 inch strips to make lattice if desired.  I like to use cookie cutters or criss cross the top.  I'm not fussy with the dough.  I sprinkled a little minute tapioca to the bottom of the crust too.  Brush with cream or egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. 

Bake for 30 - 45 minutes or until rhubarb is done.  Allow to cool on rack for several hours. Serve with a dollop of vanilla icecream or cream.  Recipe adapted from Sweety Pies

My son ate a piece and wanted more.  My aunt, the pie baker also said it was very good. Yeah!!!! These are just the perfect size for an individual pie or 2 servings.  I just love these new pie plates, I got them at Warm Glow on sale.  They cleaned very nice too.  The bottom says American Pottery. 





Have a super weekend!

Carey

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carey,
    The pies sound YUM-MO but what I really really like are the pie plates, what a great size, lovely & deep...I wonder if we can get them here in Australia??
    Have a lovely evening Carey,
    Take care, hugs Robyn

    ReplyDelete