Saturday, July 3, 2010

Let's Have a Party, Happy 4th of July!



Today we're having a gathering for friends and family to celebrate my husband's retirement and our new home.  Even though we moved in the end of September some of them have not seen our house yet.  His official date was July 1st and it's been a challenge to think of ourselves as retired.  The military has been such a huge part of our lives for the past 22 years.  I've been getting things ready and we have really knocked ourselves out to make everything look nice.  Since we moved into our home we've been trying to figure out where our flag pole would go.  We finally decided a volunteer maple in the landscaping would be the perfect spot.  After my Dh dug it up we had to special order the pole and wouldn't you know it...they couldn't get it until yesterday.  We are anxiously awaiting the curing process so we can put up our flag by party time.  I hope it will be dry, it's been perfect breezy cool weather here.  I've been decorating the house and I will put the tables together today.  I'll share more on that later and pics are coming, I promise. 


On my menu today:  We're doing a potluck, so I'm doing desserts (my fav), drinks and meat

Grilled Chicken
Hamburgers

Amish Apple Pie 2 of them!
Cherry Pie

Lemonade
Sweet Tea
Old fashioned soda pop




Here's another great pie recipe and perfect for the 4th of July!

Blueberry Pie with Crumb Topping

Crumb topping
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces


Filling

1/2 cup granualted sugar
1/4 cup flour
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 tsp. fresh finely grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. butter, unsalted cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare the pie, 9 inch pie crust. Mix crumb topping ingredients together until mixture resembles crumbs about pea size.  Don't overprocess.  If you are using a food processor use the pulse button.  Set aside.

Make the filling.  In a large bowl stir together the sugar, flour, until well mixed.   Gently stir in the blueberries and lemon rind, juice.  Pour the mixture into the pie crust, dot with butter.  Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the pie. 

Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.  Place the pie in the oven and bake until the topping is golden brown 40 to 45 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.  This is great will a dollop of vanilla icecream!

recipe from Sweetie Pies



Have a Happy 4th of July, don't forget to thank a veteran and remember our forefathers.
Wishing you a happy, safe holiday with your families!

Carey



4 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful party.. and the concrete dries quickly! That pie sounds wonderful.. I just might have to make my family one of those real soon. I've never made a blueberry pie before. Have a fantastic weekend, and I look forward to seeing you pics. Thanks again to you hub's for 22 years of service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great 4TH of july weekend..I remember when my dad got out of the navy after 20 years in 1973..A long time ago..What an honor to serve this great country and what a great man your husband is for doing just that..Have a great party..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your husbands retirement Carey! A new venture lies ahead!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to your husband for his service, and to you and your children ~ you all served and we are grateful! The blueberry crumb pie sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete